in search of neverland

kolmapäev, juuni 04, 2008

Kuru

Right, so, write in English... reading in English is a lot easier. "The language of Shakespeare and Dickens". Not intimidating at all! I actually thought of writing an English entry when sitting on the balcony of my summer house, listening to the waves crashing on the beach in the distance. Every now and then I had to lift my eyes from the book in my hands and follow the path of the wind coming through the maples and bird cherries bringing with it the soft snow fall of white petals through the slightly fragranced air. Even if I continued reading, I could at once tell when the wind got to the pine trees as the sound shifted from a more intense sough to a rustling of a different nature.

Out of all the places in the world, this must be the closest to heaven. It's not so much the comfort of the place (I still wish I would come across someone to come a build a sauna next to the house!), but rather the ever presence of it. It has been there for as long as I can remember and except for a few teenage years, it has been my haven for all summers. Whether coming from the most beautiful trip or from any sorrow, there is that one place that never lets me leave without adding to my joy or erasing all sadness. Too bad I couldn't get away throughout the last year... One day I will winter proof the house! But until I have, I will spend as much of my summers there, reading a book in a hammock between the pine trees by day and counting the stars or writing down my own little stories next to the fire place by night. And always take someone with me to the beach to remind me to move about so as to not get horribly sun burnt so that three days later my back would still be sore!!! Volunteers are welcome :)

As said, much better at reading than writing, but here you go, dear English-speaking friends, finally something for you to comment on.

Recent book recommendations: Zadie Smith's On Beauty, Richard Brautigan's In Watermelon Sugar, Yann Martel's Life of Pi (Thanks to the owners!)